Tuesday, March 20, 2007

a pop album for people who hate pop music

Other things I'm listening to:
Arcade Fire. Not sure I like it as much as Funeral, but it's clearly going to be in most people's best of 2007 lists.
Malcolm Middleton. Been listening to both Malcolm Middleton albums, as well as Arab Strap's farewell compilation.
Ballads of the Book. I need to give this one a few more listens. Some tracks work a lot better than others; I know that I'm really looking forward to Emma Pollock's solo album.
Tracey Thorn. I was a latecomer to ebtg; I loved the Todd Terry remix of Missing, and Tracey's vocal on Massive Attack's Protection. I think the first thing I bought from them was Walking Wounded - heavily influenced by trip hop. But I still go back to Amplified Heart and Idlewild, as well as the Acoustic album of covers and live tracks (including a cover of Tom Waits' Downtown Train). I'd strongly recommend the Like The Deserts Miss The Rain compilation; not a best of since there are a lot of obscure b-sides, album tracks and covers. But it works really well; it's not chronological, and it's surprising to hear how seamlessly a very early song like Each and Every One from the first album moves into a remix of Before Today from Walking Wounded. The new album is Tracey's first solo project in 25 years. It's not groundbreaking, but the combination of soft acoustic folky tracks, with others with a stronger dance/electronic influence reminds me of ebtg at their finest. It's a mature album - she's taken time out to have children, and apparantly didn't sing a note for 5 years. Nowhere Near and Hands up to the Ceiling are particularly strong tracks. Unfortunately there's no plan to tour, which is a pity.
Reading: Jesus for the Non-Religious. I've read a lot of Jack Spong's books. Always thought provoking and challenging. I don't agree with everything he says, and I think he sometimes seems to take too much pleasure in destroying the arguments of those who would claim to take the bible literally. But as someone who struggles to cling on to what is essentially good and true about Christianity within the context of the early 21st century, and without compromising rationality, his writing is always refreshing.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I am also enjoying the new Arcade Fire, though I am not familiar enough with the first one to make a comparison. Sounding surprisingly Springsteen-ish on at least one track.

Never been the biggest fan of EBTG, but Ben Watt's book Patient, about his long illness some years back is a very good read.