Saturday, May 12, 2007

take a look at the lawman beating up the wrong guy

In Borders last night, buying the first two albums from The Hold Steady, and they were playing a great cover version of Life on Mars? in Portuguese. It was taken from the Life Aquatic Studio Sessions by Seu Jorge, an album from a couple of years ago, but which I'd never heard. Now, not only am I a sucker for a good cover version, but he was also in City of God, which I have regularly referred to as my favourite film of all time. And, of course, that song has been running through my mind thanks to the time traveling cop show, which was the best thing I saw on TV last year, and survived it's move to BBC1 for its' second season. I know that I should make an effort with Bowie - I've allowed his 80's radio friendly crap to overshadow his good stuff.
This really is pretty cool.

1 comment:

Tom said...

The soundtrack is probably the best thing about The Life Aquatic, I thought it was very disappointing after Ruchmore and The Royal Tannenbaums.

I've had a Bowie reappraisal recently, especially enjoying Low and Station To Station. Give Low a try, you should be able to pick it up for a fiver in Fopp. I preferred it to Heroes, and a man of your tastes would find a lot to enjoy, I reckon.