Tuesday, May 01, 2007

all I want in life's a little bit of love to take the pain away

I got a text on Sunday morning from Tom, who was enjoying the sun the sea and the sand at the ATP festival at Minehead Butlins.
"acoustic spiritualized just incredible" (slow website; maybe it just doesn't like Firefox). I've downloaded their live sets from Edinburgh and Manchester last November which, in spite of the audience noise (of course he's going to play "Oh Happy Day" - you don't have to start shouting for it after the first song), would seem to confirm that impression.
Still remember the first time I heard Spiritualized; listening to the Abbey Road EP over a cup of instant coffee which Tom had managed to rustle up from the back of a cupboard at his old house in Sherwood. One of those moments which gets you straight out of the house and down to a record shop. In this case, Selectadisc. Bought Abbey Road and Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space (in the pill box packaging; I wish I'd bought two).
I'm on the train to Paris tomorrow; I think I know what I'll be listening to. I'll also be burning the next couple of episodes of The Sopranos to watch (since my hotel only has CNN in English); the first couple of episodes have suggested that we're building up to a very unpleasant conclusion.
I'm between books at the moment. Not sure whether to dive into Claire Massud's The Emperors Children (though comparisons with the massively overrated The Corrections concern me) or I’ll Take You There; Pop Music and the Urge for Transcendence, both of which have been sat on the shelf for a few months. That said, as I'm travelling a fair bit in May, I might just settle for Mojo, Word, Wired and a few 33 1/3 books.

1 comment:

Tom said...

where did you find those live downloads? It would be a terrific shame if there's no official release from the acoustic mainlines line up.

My introduction to Spiritualized was on the train on the way down to Mike's stag weeekend. 'Ladies and Gentlemen...' was cheap on cassette, and I bought it on a whim for the journey to Gloucester. I was completely won over by it, and not just because the break up subject matter was particularly relevant to me at the time.
Random fact and minor claim to fame, I once bought a pint of Abbot Ale for a chap who briefly played guitar in a later Spiritualized line up. It was in the Gladstone, and he was a friend of a friend of Ady's.