Thursday, October 25, 2007

it's that look in your eyes, telling me lies

Recent purchases include: Comicopera - Robert Wyatt has certainly been one of my artists of the year. This is a beautiful album - Just As You Are is just as honest a love song as Sea Song, and very likely to sit alongside Becky Unthank on my end of year pick.
Late Night Tales - Fat Boy Slim. One of the best compilations you will hear in a while - some great funk, dub, and general freakiness (including Kenny Roger's stoner track from the Big Lebowski, and Kraftwerk in a Northern Soul style - inspired). Even some Charlie Brown Music. And mentioning Kraftwerk, both the Hot Chip remixes of a couple of the Tour de France tracks, and the soundtrack to Control (which includes Autobahn) are worth a listen.
The Very Best of Ethiopiques - worth it for the Mulatu Astatke tracks alone. I've wanted to get hold of his stuff since watching Broken Flowers.
Lots of Alabama 3 - MOR is growing on me, especially since seeing them live yet again (and the Astoria have just emailed me to let me know that they found the wallet I lost at the gig), but I'm also enjoying the gig only Drive Time remix, and a bootleg of the Cambridge acoustic set (here's another sad song...).
I'm looking forward to the Robert Plant and Alison Krauss album released next week, and I should also get hold of the new Teddy Thompson, which Tom is raving about.
And here's Bill Bailey restored:

4 comments:

Tom said...

I'm looking forward to the Plant / Krauss album too, there's a track from it on the otherwise lacklustre Word cover CD. The Teddy Thompson record just grows and grows on me, I love it and am looking forward to seeing him in the New Year.

What Charlie Brown music is it on the Fatboy LP? I have a track which I downloaded after hearing it on the Freak Zone - the Linus and Lucy theme, by the Vince Guraldi Trio. It turned up recently in the background on Louis Theroux's documentary about plastic surgery in LA, it's a great tune and it vividly took me back.

Still

Graham said...

It's the same track on Late Night Tales; as you say, very nostalgic. I should try to see if there's an album of the stuff.

Tom said...

Lots to be had here: http://www.vinceguaraldi.com/

Tom said...

After a bloody awful morning at work I repaired to Selectadisc and bought Comicopera and Late Night Tales (a tenner each, v good value...).

Am now sat listening to the Fatboy compilation, it's terrific stuff, thanks for the nod.