Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I'll come back stronger than a powered up Pac-Man

Never one to shy away from a good cover version, but I'm yet to make up my mind about Mark Ronson's Version album. At it's best - a souled out full on horns version of Coldplay's God Put a Smile on My Face, almost unrecognisable from the original, and Amy Winehouse's version of the Zuton's Valerie, I wonder if this might be the album you hear everywhere this year. But some tracks just miss the mark. I really don't like Stop Me, although I appreciate what he's trying to do with the song, and Robbie does the Charlatans doesn't do it for me either. A good cover version takes a song you already know and shines a different light on it. In Lily Allen's take on the Kaiser Chief's Oh My God, Ronson does exactly that. One of my songs of 2007 so far, and with the weather we had over the weekend, I was convinced that this could be as big a part of the soundtrack to the summer as LDN and Smile were last year.

No comments: