Tuesday, April 03, 2007

random rules

Lazy idea for a post. But one I'll probably rely on. Ipod on shuffle. 10k tracks, the vast majority released since 2000.

With Me In Mind: Cody ChesnuTT
From the Rough Trade Counter Culture 2003 compilation. Don't remember this track. It's great. Very lofi, spoken lyric, simple synth & guitar line.
Never As Tired As When I'm Waking Up: LCD Soundsystem
From the first album. Sounds like a Lennon track from about 1969. I don't mean that in a bad way. Ipod's feeling mellow. LCD Soundsystem high on all my playlists at the moment.
Four Leaf Clover: Badly Drawn Boy
Another quiet one. Haven't really played this album much. Difficult to get excited about to be honest. And it seems long.
Rise (12" Mix): PiL
Now this is long. And it's loud. I think I like PiL as much as a dislike the Pistols. Even this, which isn't their best. Hmmm. The curse of the 80's 12" single. Doesn't really do much after the first 4 minutes
This House Is On Fire: Natalie Merchant
Don't remember getting this. Bit of a reggae beat, with arabesque strings. I should listen to this album (Motherland from 2001).
Capturing Moods: Rilo Kiley
I was looking at my lastfm charts yesterday, and realise that I must listen to Jenny Lewis's solo album more than either of the Rilo Kiley albums, which is surprising, as I played them to death in 2005. I think they've a new one due soon, which is something to look forward to.
Him: Collective Soul
I remember borrowing this. But not really in the mood for it today. Was this one of their "Christian Rock" songs? Don't remember. I hate that tag. I've nothing against people expressing or exploring their faith through their music. But I hate to see attempts by evangelicals to hijack any artist who releases a song where they perceive the lyric to be "Christian" - be it U2 or Sufjan Stevens - almost as much as I cringe when an overtly fundamentalist group tries to use the charts to get their "message" across.
Minds Eye: Wolfmother
Even the loud albums are throwing up fairly mellow songs.
Something Against You: Pixies
Live in Amherst in 2004 - the hometown show on the reunion tour. That's better.
Song for Sunshine: Belle & Sebastian
One of the weaker tracks on the album. 70's soul - maybe a spot too much 10CC. But still their best album.

What did that achieve. Well, I didn't skip any tracks, and there was nothing unlistenable. Not bad really. Followed up with a couple of Matisyahu tracks while I was editing the format. So we'll add dub to mellow.

No comments: