Thursday, July 19, 2007

"ever feel like you've been cheated?"

I've cautiously welcomed the return of the Jesus and Mary Chain - although I find it hard to think if there is any difference between me going to watch Pixies, the Pogues etc and blokes in their 40's heading off to watch the Shadows and Marty Wilde during the 1980's - and I know how tragic I thought that was.
The picture in this month's OMM of Jarvis Cocker alone on the front row of the Festival Hall during Meltdown, watching the Mary Chain whilst his wife takes photos of the band, is just a great fan image. But having missed the boat for Meltdown, and being in the wrong country for Connect, I've been looking out for any more dates this autumn. And now they're playing Brixton Academy - one of my favourite venues - in September.
So far so good. But I'm left resenting the use of an Agency who charge a £2.75 booking fee for a £25 ticket - and a further fiver to post it to me - a 31% mark up. Yes, I'll probably end up paying up. Reviews of their shows this year have been universally strong. But it's still a rip-off.
And on the subject of being cheated, is there any difference between Things Change "the long awaited debut album from soul duo Fried" - and Fried the 2004 "eponymous debut...a rare gem of an album"? I liked the first album; When You Get Out of Jail was one of my songs of the year in 2004 (although the rest of the album struggled to match it). But why does it seem that no reviewer has even heard of the earlier release?

No comments: