Thursday, July 26, 2007

it's been so damned long since we sung this song

Back from the first night of the Cambridge Folk Festival. That's the first time I've done the Thursday night - the low-key night before the festival proper. But, as part of what is a very strong lineup this year, there were couple of acts playing tonight who I really wanted to see.
I was a bit late getting there - though a beautiful rainbow over Shelford told of a weekend of sunshine and showers to come - so missed the start of "the brilliant, the unique" Seasick Steve. And even though I was stuck outside the tent in the mud and the drizzle, I knew I was listening to a great blues guitarist. Foregoing the chance to pick up a signed copy of his album, I pushed down to the front for Kris Drever; another from the Rusby/McCusker stable - a good guitarist, but not where I needed to be tonight. I needed to get back to church, and the Alabama 3 Acoustic set didn't disappoint. I was up front and in centre as Larry, Devlin, Rock Freebase and Harpo Strangelove took the stage. A very different set from St Albans - and perfect for a festival crowd. A lot of Exile - Converted, Woke Up, Tekno, Speed and ending with a great version of Peace - together with Johnny Cash, Two Heads, Folsom Prison Blues and Up Above My Head. It was nice to be part of the crowd down the front singing along; there's something special about being in a festival crowd listening to one of your favourite bands. A great start to the weekend; looking forward to Steve Earle and Sharon Shannon tomorrow. I'll probably try to catch Bruce Cockburn too. Not sure about the Waterboys; Mike Scott was so disappointing last time he was at Cambridge. And there's Zydeco on stage two at the same time.
Now to get some sleep in a nice warm bed.

1 comment:

Tom said...

keep the reports from the festival coming!

Glad to hear that the acoustic Alabamas were up to the electric standard, it's quite a different gig and I would expect that they would have been rather tense appearing at an event like Cambridge...a far cry from the Windmill in Brixton