Wednesday, July 11, 2007

it's been a while since I saw your ultra-violet smile

I'm still on a buzz from Alabama 3 at the Alban Arena last week. A really good night. It was far from a full house - and the crowd had a large proportion of 40-ish blokes (well that described the six of us pretty well). The crowd seemed to take a little while to get going; the mix at the back of the hall was very bass-heavy, making a lot of what D Wayne was saying indecipherable. And I think a lot of us were just astounded that a band this good was playing a half empty hall in our home town. It got a lot better when Jon and I followed Tom & Jim (who took the pictures) and got down to the front. But the band looked great and sounded even better.

Some great versions of old songs, and I really liked the new stuff they played in the encore. Larry Love and Devlin have a great stage presence together; I really enjoyed the version of Up Above My Head from Outlaw with Devlin on vocals (closer to The Last Train to Mashville Vol 1 version I purchased on the night). The St Albans Chapter of The First Presleyterian Church Of Elvis The Divine (UK) will testify again in October - although I'm seeing the acoustic lineup in Cambridge at the end of the month.

No comments: